Walk Length: 4.5 Mile circular walk.
Begin this walk at Acle Train Station, NR13 3BZ and take the short walk to the starting point at Acle Dyke. Alternatively, if driving to the walk, you can start at the public car park at Bridewell Lane, NR13 3AE.
This circular trail heads north along the banks of the River Bure and under Acle Bridge. A crossing of the River Bure at Acle Bridge has been recorded since 1101 and was known as the Weybrigg. The term brigg means crossing point, ford or bridge. The first stone bridge, built in 1830, was a three arch stone bridge. This bridge was replaced in the 1930s by a concrete one and the current bridge replaced it in 1997. Acle Bridge is also reputed to be haunted. Josiah Burge was murdered on the bridge by a man seeking revenge for the death of his sister and his blood is now said to pool at the location of the fatal attack on the night of 7 April.
The walk then returns to Acle through fields from the village of Upton. This area was heavily defended in WWII in case of German invasion. Several pillboxes and spigot mortar pedestals can still be seen along the route. Another point of interest is St Mary’s Church in Fishley and it is thought to have been constructed around 950AD.
There are toilets and refreshments in the village centre where this is a café and The King’s Head Inn. There is also seating on route and many welcome stops to refresh on route at the Hermitage Inn and The Bridge Inn.